Balancing the Heart Chakra
The Heart Chakra is located in the centre of the chest. It is known in Sanskrit as Anahata. It governs our expression of love, our ability to give love and our ability to receive love. In addition, it can be related to self-love, altruism, respect, grief, forgiveness & compassion.
The heart chakra is the middle chakra between higher and lower chakras which is the ultimate spiritual centre and seen in many spiritual traditions as the ultimate centre for healing. The biggest challenges for the heart chakra are grief, abandonment & loss.
Its element is air and it’s colour is green. The sound for this chakra is “Yam”.
Signs that the Heart Chakra is out of balance
- Difficulty giving and receiving love – Finding it hard to receive a favour or gift for example.
- Expectations – You give but you do on some subconscious level expect something, even if it’s a thank you.
- Inability to be genuine with emotions – you are not genuine with your emotions and withhold them for fear of judgement and fear of intimacy
- Fear of intimacy – You can’t commit to any sort of relationship and have an unhealthy attachment to the idea of non-comittment being ‘freedom’
- Judging others – You judge others for their bad actions, rather than understand that each person has their own journey & we have all at some point acting in non-compassionate ways
- You cannot move past grief – for me, I have spent years and years moving past the grief of losing my mum at such a young age and so suddenly. Grief truly blocks the heart from experiencing peace and happiness
- You have a deep seated fear of abandonment based on unresolved feelings of loss and abandonment
- Dependency on others for feeling love
- Compassion for everyone else other than yourself. Giving all the time but at the detriment of your own wellbeing and health.
- Feeling too much compassion for others and wanting to rescue people. Not understanding that people need to be their own inner guru & need to go through their own journey
- Reading lots of spiritual texts, doing spiritual things, self-help books etc but not actually integrating it into a state of being. You’ll know that you haven’t integrated it if you still judge, bitch, moan, fail to accept the world and people, fail to accept yourself, can’t accept others. This shows a blockage between intellectual knowing & essence of living and being.
Techniques for Balancing the Heart Chakra
- Getting outdoors in fresh air
- Practicing daily gratitude – Before bed, state three things you are grateful for. When upset with something, state something else positive that it brought. For example, “I am upset that my boyfriend was snappy with me.. BUT at least it means that I understand that he is clearly tired and where we can further grow”
- Process grief, betrayals, loss and abandonment – This can be really painful & I suggest you go into it with the support of a loving and non-judgemental therapist
- Meditate on the heart – Get into a meditation as normal but then bring all the awareness to the heart. State to yourself, “I am taking on the consciousness of my heart chakra”. Then sit in free fall and follow the feelings that arise. Remember to fully ground and come back to the present by stating your name, the date and where you are. You can do this with any chakra, blockage or even physical pain.
- Choose green – Bring plants indoors, maybe paint a relaxing green colour on the walls or get some lovely green crystals
- Crystals such as rose quartz, jade, malachite or unakite.
- Chant the mantra “Yam”
- Repeat affirmations such as “I am open and loving towards myself and others”, “I fully respect myself”, “I deeply & completely love and respect myself”, “I am able to be grateful for the gifts of each day”, “I forgive myself and others” etc.
- Try Emotional Freedom Technique – You can youtube or google this. It’s super powerful when in moments of sadness and feeling a real sense of loss, abandonment or grief.
- Try essential oils such as rose, geranium, jasmine, lavender, bergamot, lemon, mandarin, rosemary & much more.
The heart is a really beautiful chakra when open & opens us up to a real humble spiritual truth. We can truly be beautiful beings when we live more from the heart and less from the ego. But hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and there would be unconditional love and acceptance everywhere you turned.
So have a go at some of these things if you feel any resonates, and please please do share any ideas that you have! I’d love to hear more about what works for you.
As always, please like, follow & share.
All the heartfelt love,