Chakra Series – Svadhisthana (Sacral) Chakra
The 2nd Chakra in Sanskrit is know as “Svadhishthana” which means “one’s own place”. Ruled by Water, the 2nd Chakra is inherently feminine/yin/shakti in quality and unlike the animalistic qualities of the root chakra, this chakra reflects the true and natural qualities of who you really are. The colour of this chakra is orange reflecting the creative, warm, emotionally fluid and nourishing nature of it’s energy.
The 2nd Chakra is the centre of pleasure, sensuality and creativity. When a person is balanced and unblocked in this chakra they radiate warmth, live playfully and are able to flow from emotionally deep talk into sensual & sexual energies freely and without shame.
Unfortunately, in this modern age, people are on the whole out of balance in this chakra because it is oh-so-easy for the external vata and patriarchal world to take over and rumble the watery beauty of this chakra. From most ‘successful’ humans on insta being never-sleep-all-work entrepreneurs, to magazine’s images, to strict school life where our career is dictated, and the yang wellbeing world which focuses on forceful dieting and exercise; we are constantly bombarded with force, action, DOING rather than coming inside to being. Coming within helps us to really understand our Dharma, truth and real emotional landscape. This is a larger topic, for another blog, but those of you joining Susan & I on our wonderful day retreat this Sunday, there will be a whole hour seminar on why your feminine energy gets drained, rumbled and how we can fill it up & also how it functions in relationships.
For now, let’s just focus on the basics. If you’ve ever been victim to abuse of any nature, body shame, toxic relationships, religious indoctrination or been shamed for your emotions, then it’s a possibility that you could have an impaired Sacral Chakra.
Now y’all know I never profess to be a guru, but certain things here have been true for me and many others I have helped heal in the last 10 years working as a wellness and holistic coach. When it comes to metaphysical energy imbalances, the ego often likes to kick in and deny what it cannot see, such as female/male yin/yang shiva/shakti energy imbalances. Take what resonates with you, leave what doesn’t. If you want further help you can always seek the help of an therapist, ayurvedic MD, medical doctor or natural therapist.
Signs Your Svadhisthana Is Out Of Balance
- You have addictions to anything which brings pleasure, such as alcohol, food, gambling, compulsive buying etc
- You feel emotionally numb or cold (also relevant to heart chakra)
- You have no sex drive or feel guilt/shame around sex
- Your sex drive is through the roof and you are sexually impulsive (not the aries kind, like unnatural kind)
- You feel like a control freak and struggle with anything like uncertainty or sponteneity
- You have issues with your menstrual cycle, fertility issues, sexual function issues.
- You’re constantly knackered & feel little playfulness or joy in life.
- You repress your true feelings and hide through an inauthentic identity which presents an external image of being okay and in your truth even if you don’t actually feel it OR…
- You’re extremely emotionally reactive and take everything personally, this takes real self awareness to see that you are doing it. You’ll often react, withdraw & without pausing to be able to rationalise and negotiate with your triggers. Yep, I’ve been there.
- You’re emotionally hypersensitive in crowds etc and try to fix everyone and everything rather than letting people go of the world to allow people to walk their own path
- You’re creatively blocked, and you tend to overthink everything before doing. This is also an excess of Vata (air/ether energy) without any Pitta (fire/water/action) or Kapha (reflection/earth/water/grounding)
- You have lower back, kidney or digestive disorders
A blocked sacral chakra feels like frigidity, detachment & emotional coldness.
An overactive sacral chakra feels like codependency, emotionally explosive & sexual addictions.
Practices to Nurture the Sacral
- Be Creative – Cookery, Art, Painting, Sculpture, Music, Dancing, Creative Movement, Craft, Photography etc. Anything creative and playful helps. Have no outcome based approach, simply just let go and flow.
- Take Ceremonial Cacao – Find a local cacao ceremony & use the power of the cacao goddess to really awaken your divine god/goddess essences within.
- Eat Orange, Rooty Foods – Sweet Potatos, Carrots, Squash, Oranges, Ginger, Cacao, Cinnamon. MMMMM.
- Explore your beliefs around Sex – If necessary work with a sexual therapist. Even try Yoni Crystals and engage in de-armouring practices to help you release blocked and negative energies around sex and shame. Do not do this without deeply reading into it. Melissa Ambrosini talks well about this in her book ‘Open Wide’; I highly recommend.
- Crystals which bring your Sacral Chakra into alignment – Carnelian, Amber, Orange Calcite, Jasper & Moonstone.
- Become aware of emotional triggers – Not everything is personal, in fact, most of the time it isn’t. Work with a therapist because believe it or not, we all have blind spots. Teal Swan is an amazing place to start. If you have a problem with truth, however, you may have a problem with her. I used to, hehehe, good old ego.
- Get to the root of any addictions – Work with a therapist and start to heal those wounds of anxiety, shame & escapism.
- Practice self care – Get into nature, Salt baths, Candlelit mindful dinners, Goddess Circles, Connect with loved ones, Indulge in pleasure.
- Try something spontaneous
- Try aromatherapy – Oils such as orange, cinnamon, ginger, jasmine, neroli & bergamot. Ylang Ylang and Sage are essential and you can blend them with a carrier oil and rub directly onto the sacral area, below the navel.
- Yoga – Try Yin, Chakra Dancing or Well Woman
- Breathing Practices such as Kapalabati or Kumbaka – Unsure? Youtube it, baby!
- Get into Nature around water especially. Or Swimming.
- Chant ‘Vam’
- Explore your menstrual cycle and goddess essence – A few books which are amazing and easy to read are Open Wide – Melissa Ambrosini & Witch – Lisa Lister. Available on Audible too!
- Connect with and learn about the moon
Once you try an activity, really explore and reflect on how it makes you feel.
Of course, let me know anything that helps you and don’t forget to comment, like, share and follow!