What is Reiki ?
“Maybe you should try Reiki”
If I had a pound for every time I’d had this conversation, I’d be one rich beast. Whilst it is true that Reiki is similar to other holistic therapies out there, such as Bowen Therapy or reflexology; Reiki really is an extremely powerful form of healing and significantly underrated by those who have not had a Reiki encounter in their life.
Firstly, what is Reiki? Reiki is universal energy healing developed by Japanese Buddhist, Mikao Usui. Universal energy is in every living thing, like an electromagnetic field – this is where things like divination come from: you have to see it to believe it. As such, like many powerful forms of healing, which are seen as ‘alternative medicine’, Reiki has been undermined by being described as ‘pseudoscience’ and not seen as a valid form of treatment. I mean, Cancer Research UK say it should not be used in place of conventional cancer treatments, therefore it must be right…
Detect the sarcasm there. With Cancer Research being one of the most corrupt ‘charities’ out there nailing this powerful healing method, why should we trust in Reiki?
Let me share my experience with you.
I would say that my first Reiki treatment was my spiritual awakening. I was teaching a yoga class out in Tenerife and after the class a gentleman came up to me and said, “You need healing”. My fear ridden ego was pretty much saying, “Who is this freak man who thinks he knows everything? Obviously that’s all a load of rubbish”, but on the other hand, something deep within took precedence over that narrow-minded response and agreed to have a treatment. I suppose, it was as if something innate knew that this was what my body and soul needed above anything else at that time.
During my first treatment, as a sceptic, I was wary. I cannot remember everything in great detail; deep relaxation, lots of unexplained laughter and warmth, intense heat on the various energetic areas he was working with, a strong sense of peace and calm etc. I knew afterwards that there was something in this.
A few days later, I had another treatment and this was where much more came up for me: laughter at first, but then this intense and unexplainable feeling of fear and vulnerability arose and consumed me. This was followed by intense feelings of pain, loss and sadness. I cried, so painfully, but I felt so safe at the same time.
Looking back, it was the first emotional clearing I had experienced since my traumatic 4-5 years that had come before. In the days that followed the treatment, so much came up. I was shattered and emotionally drained, but this passed and I knew that Reiki was something so powerful and meant for me to be part of.
Another example of the power of Reiki recently that I spurred me to write this post was through a good friend of mine who is a Reiki practitioner. She is working with a bowel cancer patient. The patient hated conventional treatment and found it to be ineffective and since having Reiki and eating all natural, her cancer has shrunk. Reiki is so powerful.
Many synchronicities followed and lead up to the opportunity for me to do my training in Reiki level 1 and 2. My Reiki master and peers who I was attuned with are all directly attuned to the Usui lineage. An attunement is where your Reiki master attunes your body to be able to give Reiki, even though this is all ready in all of us. An attunement simple opens the channels. We all have healing hands, it is just a case of unblocking your energetic channels in the body so that you can clearly become a turbo charge channel this healing energy to yourself and others.
Reiki 1 practitioners are attuned to perform Reiki on themselves for the benefit of self-healing. Over time, this prepares you for Reiki 2 level where you are able to perform Reiki healing on other people. A good Reiki practitioner always works on themselves, as this makes their healing ability stronger.
What can Reiki do for you?
- Relaxation – If you suffer with anxiety, stress and depression, Reiki really helps the body and mind to come into a more calm energetic state.
- Cancer, other Illnesses and diseases– A lot of diseases and illnesses often have an underlying spiritual explanation; for example, if you have a digestive disorder, such as frequent unexplained sickness, it could be that you have trouble in stomaching something or perhaps you are not addressing solar plexus related issues, such as personal power, willpower or self-esteem etc. Reiki can work on balancing these energetic channels within the body, and then soon the physical manifestation of the energetic imbalance simply vanishes.
- Physical injury – I had a foot injury for ages, and the minute that I moved out of where I was living – the injury cleared. I knew that I quite literally had to put my foot forward, and that this pain was manifesting to tell me to move forward. Reiki often helped to shift this pain for a few days at least as it allowed my body to relax and understand the deeper metaphysical meaning and how to heal it.
- Healing from deep trauma – I had things that I just could not talk about. Reiki sends healing where it needs to, and so, bit by bit, peels the layers of trauma in manageable amounts. The body physically holds onto a lot of trauma, and so Reiki allows this to be released in bite size manageable amounts. Over time, Reiki helped me heal from anorexia, my mothers death and abusive relationships. If you have ever experienced any type of trauma, then Reiki is a must for you.
- Healing on all levels – You can Reiki the past, send distance treatments or even world situations. Reiki is so clever and works to remind all expressions of the universe that they can heal themselves. For example, if I meet someone in waking life who is just really ego driven: rude, angry, negative, low self-esteem etc, I will send them healing. That night, I often send them healing in a dream and will be with them on some sort of astral plane, not of my normal dreams, and sending them healing. This is true for another friend of mine, who sends healing to people he has never even met in his dreams. Just wow.
- Pets – Animal healing is very powerful. I give healing to many animals and pick up on their trauma and injury every time. If you have a rescue pet, ‘crazy’ pet or even ill pet; Reiki can really help to heal the animal.
Like Yoga, Bowen Therapy, Reflexology and other holistic therapies; Reiki unblocks and heals in divine timing, it also reveals the nature of your true self. In this true essence, you can be the best version of yourself; the most happy, loving and peaceful. So Reiki doesn’t have some sort of proven scientific 1 + 1 = 2 formula, BUT there are studies into the benefits of Reiki. It is my opinion that this lack of support for Reiki comes down to government/society not wanting us to know what is out there, keeping the power with them and population control.
We are powerful beings who have the capacity to heal ourselves and others. Reiki and Yoga are my lifeline in healing from my traumas and anorexia. I am so thankful for the people that came into my life to make Reiki available to me.
Why not make it your new years resolution to invest in yourself truly on a spiritual and energetic level? This will only heal and enrich your life on all levels; what have you got to lose. Reiki only works to the highest good and through love and light. Any fear you have is only the ego fearing the divine, good energy. Give it a try and invest in one session, as this is something that is about experiencing. Once you have your first Reiki, I guarantee you will never look back.
Love and Light, always.